How to Make some extra $$$ as a SAHM
May 5, 2020
Let me clear the air right now:
I am technically…not a legit SAHM (stay at home mom).
There. I said it.
According to the Pew Research Center In 2016, 18% of parents did not work outside of the home. This does not mean you didn’t work, you just did not work outside of your home.
I fall somewhere between the mom who stays home for the kids and the one who does actually work outside of the home from time to time. I’m what you would call a sorta kinda stay at home mom.
Having five children, and triple that in bills, my husband and I have found some creative opportunities (some better than others) to bring in more income, while still being fully (maybe not mentally 100% of the time) available to our children.
Here are (5) ways I do that:
- I own a part-time business (hint: it’s the website you are currently enjoying)! I do realize that sounds insane, as owning a business is full-time work. Here’s the thing, I can do what I love, do it well. but also do it in balance. And what I have learned over the years is that I (personally) cannot have a full time anything without it taking from my full time ministry- my family. I struggle with focus, being fully present, and over-committing, so allowing myself room for wiggle in my counseling, writing, and teaching creates a space for extra money in our home without extra anxiety of being over stretched. *Are there any part-time jobs available in your community that you can work during your spare time (i.e. kids are at school, napping, weekends, overnight, etc.) or something you are passionate about that you can make into your own part-time business?
- I teach English to Chinese children! I spent several years overseas, and this makes me very nostalgic. Such sweet kids (most of the time), early before my own kiddos wake up, and just so much fun. *For more information about one way you can do that: CLICK HERE!
- Yes, I own a MLM franchise! If you know anything about multi-level marketing franchises, you know the bad rep it can sometimes get. I have owned a few different MLM franchises over the years (those darn parties get me every single time!) and I can say this: -Is it something you would actually do and like doing? -Is it something that financially makes sense at all? -Is it something you can actually stand behind because you absolutely love it? -Is it something that will realistically fit into those time stamps in your life that is convenient for you? * For more information about how I make residual income (with some hard work of course) with my MLM franchise while changing how my family thrives physically: CLICK HERE!!
- I use apps that give cash back for where I already shop or activities I already do such as grocery shopping, driving safe, etc. In the past I would do quizzes and games but honestly, I do not have time to spend that kind of time on my phone to make $4 a month….
- My husband is the one with a “full time” business. He, at the end of the day, is responsible for this household under the leadership of Christ. In other words- these bills have his name written all over them and when God showed up in the garden- He was looking for Adam. Another way I make extra money in our home is by honoring his hard work and not spending recklessly. That sounds cliche, but it is the truth. If I normally spend $60 a month on co-op pizza days, spending $25 that month instead on sandwiches and fruit from home “makes us” extra money in the bank. It also removes stress from our home because we aren’t trying to scrape up money for a week’s dinner that we overspent the week before on video games, Amazon (I know…I love it, too), or taking the kids out for ice cream three times a week. Are there ways as a faithful wife that you can honor your spouse’s hard work, too?
Hopefully one of my 5 ways above will encourage you and get you thinking of ways you can make extra money for your family! Do you have some other ways you currently make extra money in your home? Share it with us in the comments!!
Peace, love, and strength